Parkinson’s Disease Centers
The challenges of diseases like Parkinson’s bring us in touch with the heart-breaking reality that, depending on the severity of the disease in an individual, completely sound minds reside in a non co-operating body to an extent where simple every day activities like walking, sitting still, eating, etc. become impossible for patients to accomplish on their own. Repetitive activities such as group drumming offer immense relief to such patients. Speaking from experience, there are cases where the tremors in patients greatly reduced for the duration of a Drumjam and for that period, some patients were able to sit still and drum, thus getting reconnected to their pre Parkinson’s bodies. There is a lot of research being done on the positive effects of drumming on patients with Parkinson’s disease.
The duration of these sessions depend on the specific ability of the group.
The number of participants can be 15 individuals and above.
For the duration of these programs, the foundation provides:
- Drums and percussion instruments for the duration of the session.
- Trained facilitators when possible
The organisation provides
- Adequate open space
- Armless chairs for the participants
- Caregivers familiar to the participants
- In-house facilitators / practitioners with experience in dealing with the specific challenges faced by Parkinson’s patients.